Wednesday 7 October 2009

Zara Indian Buffet, Dronfield, Derbyshire

The idea of an Indian buffet is very appealing, and a new Indian buffet restaurant in a nicely renovated pub in my local village of Dronfield is even more appealing.

Unfortunately the idea remained more appealing than the actual experience.

At Zara, you are met by staff who talk too fast and instantly confuse you over how the whole buffet "system" works. By this point I was already wishing we had travelled to Everest near Sheffield and had a proper Indian meal.

The food itself is housed in your typical hot tray type things, but being unlabelled, you're not quite sure what you are going to get. This included a neon yellow Korma - I'd never seen one that colour before. Anyway I loaded my plate with curries and strangely coloured rice dishes.

All of the food was surprisingly bland, looking and tasting like it had all come from cheap supermarket jars. The colour of some dishes certainly didn't look normal compared to my previous experience of Indian food (and believe me, I've had a lot!).

You might be paying £9.95 per person for starters, main courses, sundries and desserts, but you are clearly over paying! The food was very poor overall - I could have done better at home or been happier paying more for genuine Indian food at another restaurant.

A sadly wasted opportunity.

1/5
Visited: 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment